:: Re: [DNG] ssd experience (was / and…
Author: ael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ssd experience (was / and /usr)
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 06:32:59PM -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
> tito via Dng said on Tue, 17 Jan 2023 08:14:58 +0100
>
> Let me ask this: Has anybody here had an SSD or NVMe go bad or become
> read-only? I haven't. It just might be that the only reason spinning
> rust seems to last longer is because it's been installed longer. It's
> very possible that a reasonably cared for SSD/NVMe might last a decade
> too.

I have a rather slow (talent) ssd in an acer nspire one notebook which is still
running after, I think, 18 years. It does not support fstrim, so no special
maintenance. It is not the original acer supplied ssd which was a joke.

I have a copy of the datasheet and part identifier somewhere, but not on
this machine it seems.

ael