:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: The Original Linux Fan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
I have done my own LFS system before.  It was very
instructive.  But, the whole thing is very, very time
consuming, right?  The very idea of a distro, often is
to benefit from other's work, and to return some back.
That's how the Linux kernel came to be in the first
place: Linus isn't the only one working on it.

Marc's ideas, to me, seem much cleaner.  But not
everybody has enough memory for that, for what-
ever reason.  For me it is cost.  I'm retired and on
a very tight fixed-income.  So, some of these so-
called "choices," take me out of the loop, and I
have to find another distro.  That is why I am here,
and not on Debian.  I tried Gentoo, but that didn't
work out the best either, because of the tedium.
But I love source-based distros, and used to be a
developer on Source-Mage, when I was working and
had free-time, but had to let it go when the economy
crashed and I lost my job.

So, personal finance drives a lot of these choices.
Most of us can't afford Enterprise Solutions on a
Personal Budget.

My Home-Lab includes a Dell M1000E, which I have
had powered up and running, but the power is a
huge deal: it uses my welding outlet!

There aren't infinite resources in any system.  It all
has to be balanced, whether on a Watch, rpi, or a
multi-million dollar Beowulf Cluster, or chatGPT.

(orig)Linuxfan