:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
Le 16/01/2023 à 22:24, The Original Linux Fan via Dng a écrit :
> _User choice_ is a huge reason to allow /usr to be on
> a mountable partition.  Many of us have always
> operated that way, and consider it to be the way
> to go, exactly like not running SystemD

   And why not preserve the choice of the admin to make /lib, /sbin,
/etc and wtf mountable partitions? There should be no limit to liberty,
should it? Actually you have this liberty, which is to not use a distro
and devise your own FSH.

    But if you use a Debian derivative, or whatever distro, the scope
of the package manager is the whole filesystem, with the major
exceptions of /home and /usr/local. And breaking it in separate
partitions for the sake of security is an illusion, because a failure of
one partition would cause the package manager to detect such
inconsistencies that it would just refuse to work.

> The only place where this is an issue, is on boot.
> There is a simple rule that has always worked:  If
> it is required to boot, it goes in /, otherwise it goes
> in /usr.  It is that simple.  Keep that rule, and every-
> body will be happy.  Break it, and it starts yet an-
> other religious war, for no reason, and at great
> cost.

    The only reason I can see to use separate partitions is when you
want to use different filesystems. For example, you can install any
fancy filesytem of your preference on /,  but use ext4 on /boot to make
Grub happy -- make it large because of issues with dpkg when it's full.
Of course /home must be separate whenever possible; it contains a lot of
junk, but also presious stuff. All the rest can be reinstalled with a
memory stick and a network connection.

--     Didier