:: Re: [DNG] running with separate / a…
Author: The Original Linux Fan
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] running with separate / and /usr
_User choice_ is a huge reason to allow /usr to be on
a mountable partition.  Many of us have always
operated that way, and consider it to be the way
to go, exactly like not running SystemD.

The only place where this is an issue, is on boot.
There is a simple rule that has always worked:  If
it is required to boot, it goes in /, otherwise it goes
in /usr.  It is that simple.  Keep that rule, and every-
body will be happy.  Break it, and it starts yet an-
other religious war, for no reason, and at great
cost.

/ should be kept minimal, by the same reasoning.
I refurbish a lot of old machines, and this partition-
ing scheme is essential.  I don't  want to have to
go into / and manually try to figure out which files
can be on another partition and which can't.  Yes,
new hardware can avoid that due to scale.  But
if a user chooses to optimize speed, by making
the read-arm partions for / and /usr be at the
fastest physical location, then that is _User choice_.

SSD's may be much faster, but they don't have
the lifetime.  So, many of us consider SSD's to be
throw-away devices, that need the fewest writes,
and regular backup.

Just my opinions.

(original) Linuxfan