:: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
On 1/5/23 01:12, Steve Litt wrote:
> Fred said on Wed, 4 Jan 2023 09:33:35 -0700
>
>> I am willing to try this but after reading the fdisk man page I am not
>> sure how to do it. Won't fdisk corrupt the files in sdb1 if changes
>> are made? Could you provide a command line to try?
>>
>> I should like to try the usb on another computer to see if the
>> installer comes up provided the installer can be exited before making
>> any changes.
>> Should I just power off or is there a way to gracefully exit the
>> installer?
>
> Before doing any of the preceding, I recommend you change your bios
> from EFI to legacy, and see if that fixes your problem.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> Autumn 2022 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/bookstore/thrive.htm

The boot was changed to legacy before my first request for help. The
computer was ignoring the bootable USB stick and trying to download
Windows. It turned out that in addition to the bios boot order setting
there was another menu accessed by F9 instead of bios at F10. That boot
menu allowed selecting a device to actually, like now, boot from.
Best regards,
Fred