:: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
On 1/4/23 08:27, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2023 at 15:22:22, Fred wrote:

>> On this computer usb automounts when plugged in.
>
> We're not really talking about auto-mounting - we're talking about finding a
> bootable device.

I meant the computer I am writing this email on, not the one that won't
boot the usb.

>> I dd'ed the .iso to /dev/sdb which maybe is not correct?
>
> No, that is correct.
>
>> /sbin/fdisk -l shows the stick now has sdb1 and sdb2. The automount
>> picks sdb2.

Automount on the computer I was examining the usb stick not the one that
won't boot. Because of the automount I didn't know there were two
partitions on the usb.

> That seems bizaree, when booting from USB, since it is the first partition
> which has the boot flag set (see above).
>
>> So we are back to square 1. The usb stick should be a valid boot device
>> and the mini-pc doesn't like what it sees there. It does see the stick
>> because the led comes on and at times it blinks rapidly.
>
> Try downloading the image and then using fdisk to change the first partition
> type to FAT32, then see which partitiong the machine tries to boot from.
>

> Antony.

I am willing to try this but after reading the fdisk man page I am not
sure how to do it. Won't fdisk corrupt the files in sdb1 if changes are
made? Could you provide a command line to try?

I should like to try the usb on another computer to see if the installer
comes up provided the installer can be exited before making any changes.
Should I just power off or is there a way to gracefully exit the
installer?

Best regards,
Fred