:: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
Author: Fred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] legacy boot Chimaera?
On 1/4/23 08:27, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2023 at 15:22:22, Fred wrote:

>> On this computer usb automounts when plugged in.
>
> We're not really talking about auto-mounting - we're talking about finding a
> bootable device.
>
>> I dd'ed the .iso to /dev/sdb which maybe is not correct?
>
> No, that is correct.
>
>> /sbin/fdisk -l shows the stick now has sdb1 and sdb2. The automount
>> picks sdb2.
>
> That seems bizaree, when booting from USB, since it is the first partition
> which has the boot flag set (see above).
>
>> So we are back to square 1. The usb stick should be a valid boot device
>> and the mini-pc doesn't like what it sees there. It does see the stick
>> because the led comes on and at times it blinks rapidly.
>
> Try downloading the image and then using fdisk to change the first partition
> type to FAT32, then see which partitiong the machine tries to boot from.
>

> Antony.

I can report some progress! Another poster sent me some links off-list.
One was to a youtube video that is to solve the same problem. It
turns out there is another boot option menu accessed by F9 that tells it
which of the available options to actually boot from. The HP manuals
don't mention F9.

F9 let me select the usb stick and then the Devuan installer came up.

I was able to configure the network and partition the hd without any
problem but the install stopped at installing the base system. The
error is: Debootstrap Error: Failed to determine the codename for the
release.

I am using the netinstall .iso.

Help!
Best regards,