:: Re: [DNG] Making a hard drive boota…
Author: Antonio Rendina
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Making a hard drive bootable.
Il 03/01/23 21:38, Hendrik Boom ha scritto:
> My computer happily boots from one hard drive, although the operating system and all user data reside on another hard drive. It seems silly to have an entire hard drive taking up soace and power in the box when all I do with it is boot from it.
>
> I'd like to make it bootable from the same drive the OS an user data are on.
>
> How?

I don't do this by a lot of time, but, if I remember correctly you
should run grub-install against the drive that you want to boot and then
set the target hard drive as first boot drive on the bios.
It's not clear to me, in which drive is your boot partition, you could
need to set it up properly, if everything is on the second hard drive
you should do something like:

grub-install /dev/sdb
(careful, I don't know your setup, don't do stuff without understanding)

and then setup the bios to boot from the second hard drive.

Before playing with it, setup a rescue boot from a pendrive, and test
it. Start to experiment with grub only when you have a working rescue
solution. Or play in a empty computer, knowing that you could end up in
an un-bootable situation.

> And if I have more hard drives (coming soon) I'd like to be able to boot from any of them.

Not sure what you mean, you need one drive where grub is installed and
from there you can prepare the grub menu to boot whatever OS partition
you want, no matter which drive the OS is installed.
Of course you will need to understand grub configuration.

> I gather each drive I might wand to boot from has to have a working MBR and grub22 intallation.

Just one.

> The drive it's booting from now is MBR-partitioned; the one I want to be able to boot from is a GPT drive.

Grub is able to handle GPT drives.