:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Author: golinux
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
On 2022-11-18 16:43, Rob Pearce wrote:
> Hello team,
>
> At the beginning of this year, I found myself concerned that the SLiM
> login manager, which I very much like, was at risk of removal from
> some distro lists - especially Gentoo, which I use a fair bit - for
> being "dead upstream". I thus took it upon myself to fork the project
> and apply all the fixes needed for the systems I'm familiar with. I
> then fixed some outstanding bugs from the Gentoo list, and applied
> some improvements other forks had implemented. Then I began to add my
> own improvements, from many years of using it.
>
> I have now released three updated versions of my fork project, at
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/slim-fork/
>
> Since the Devuan project seems to still favour SLiM as a mainstream
> option, I would be most interested to know how I can work with you to
> ensure I have captured all of your required patches and, perhaps, for
> my fork to become the upstream version your package is based on. I
> hope this would be agreeable, at least in principle, to you.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rob Pearce

Hi Rob . . .

Since no one has responded I'll step up to thank you for rescuing SLiM
from the dustbin! I have never seen what the default SLiM looks like
because Hellekin styled it before I got involved in theming the Devuan
releases. It was one of the first Devuan graphics that I fell in love
with! I do hope that Devuan will keep SLiM alive and available going
forward. FWIW the old version is still working just fine on Chimaera but
my needs are simple. It is up to those who package to have a look and
bring it in to Devuan if it has features that would be useful.

Cheers!
golinux