:: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM…
Author: Rob Pearce
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Status of the SLiM login manager project
On 22/11/2022 04:51, golinux@??? wrote:

> Hi Rob . . .
>
> Since no one has responded I'll step up to thank you for rescuing SLiM
> from the dustbin! I have never seen what the default SLiM looks like
> because Hellekin styled it before I got involved in theming the Devuan
> releases. It was one of the first Devuan graphics that I fell in love
> with! I do hope that Devuan will keep SLiM alive and available going
> forward. FWIW the old version is still working just fine on Chimaera
> but my needs are simple. It is up to those who package to have a look
> and bring it in to Devuan if it has features that would be useful.

Thanks for that encouraging response!

I've had a look at the source from the Devuan git store and compared it.
I think the package is applying most (but not all) of the patches Gentoo
already had. The others were unnecessary on Devuan mostly because they
allowed systemd support or similar. There may be known issues with
certain PAM versions but, again, Devuan's "remain stable, not bleed the
edge" policy is probably helping here.

The fixes/features I've added that may be desirable are:

- Correctly handle expired accounts, instead of logging in regardless.
This is probably not something most users will notice but it bit me once.

- Option to show a message on login failure. For some people, this would
be more reassuring than the old behaviour of silently blanking the
username and password boxes ready for a new user.

- Option to retain the login name if authentication failed. A minor
convenience thing for those who mistype their password.

- A choice of how to specify sessions. The old upstream changed this
from a list to a directory. The Gentoo maintainers patched it to allow
either, which I have picked up (and corrected a bug in).

- Fixed the log file handling. The old version would send some of its
log messages into the void, now they all go where intended

- A few security and resource leak fixes

Cheers,

Rob

--
Maintainer of the <href="https://sourceforge.net/projects/slim-fork/">SLiM Login Manager fork</a>