:: Re: [DNG] Website "motto"?
Author: o1bigtenor
CC: Devuan ML
Subject: Re: [DNG] Website "motto"?
On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 4:23 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Antony Stone said on Wed, 19 Jan 2022 22:03:23 +0100
>
> >On Wednesday 19 January 2022 at 21:59:46, Steve Litt wrote:
> >
> >> golinux@??? said on Tue, 18 Jan 2022 20:49:41

> >> For the first 36 hours after you posted this, I thought "if" was the
> >> English word "if", not "Internet Freedom" or whatever. Short and to
> >> the point works only if you don't need an accompanying explanation.
> >
> >So, maybe two different colours (or at least shades) for the two
> >letters?
> >
> >That could be enough to make people think of them separately.
>
> I doubt it. You and I think about init freedom daily. The person
> reading the logo? Not so much. Also, what does "init freedom" give
> them? We know, but do they?
>
> Honestly, I know it's hip today to say nothing negative,

Today its considered part of political correctness to say nothing
negative.

It was the norm for many many years - - - in fact - - - I remember the
phrase "If you've nothing good to say say nothing!" - - - in fact I heard
that a lot (I tend to nit pick at stupid idiocies that I find!).

So in some ways emphasising the positive benefits is a return to
society's roots. The blatant, all too often infantile, spewing that has
become far too common is a product of having too many persons
with huge skills and tiny people experience lashing out at what
they see as a personal attack, even when it isn't (although sometimes
it is). Computer society seems to be fraught with this - - - changing
this kind of behavior - - - - well the current political correctness
male bovine excrement is mostly incitement for more spewing
and not for changing hearts and minds.

In regards to the present topic - - - one only needs to look at the
response(s) from the author of this systemd malaise when he
was challenged (sometimes in a fashion that was itself unacceptable).

> but I think
> maybe the best motto is "Don't get stuck with systemd", with that
> phrase being an obvious link, leading to a short list of reasons why
> you don't want to get stuck with systemd:
>
> * Systemd is DIY hostile
> * For problems not on the systemd diagnostic "script", systemd makes
> troubleshooting much more difficult
> * Systemd has a gargantuan attack surface
> * Systemd affirmatively and intentionally stumbling-blocks other init
> installations.
> * Systemd replaces working solutions with new, questionable solutions

This is a great 'second' step - - - pulling in the uninformed is the first
step.

If you think legislating morality works I would suggest you review the
prohibition - - - the legislation really helped little (except for some who
became filthy rich at it) and changed nothing - - - at least not that I
can tell!

I hope I haven't been a serious pot stirrer in this but this discussion
seems to be polarizing - - - and if it escalates any more it will only
divide an already small group. Wondering if its time to close the topic.
I will try very very hard not to respond further!

HTH