:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Le 13/11/2021 à 20:46, Steve Litt a écrit :
> karl@??? said on Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:42:51 +0100 (CET)
>
>> Steve Litt:
>>> John Morris via Dng said on Fri, 12 Nov 2021 17:26:52 -0600
>> Size is not the only reason.
>> You might want to have a separation for other reason.

>>> Which brings up another beef I have: Why don't they build Ext4 and
>>> maybe a couple other mainstream filesystems into the kernel, so if I
>>> want, I can boot without initramfs? What would it cost?
>>
>> I use it all the time.
>>
>> Just do it yourself, it just cost you a little time, or do you
>> volunteer to maintain a such kernel for devuan ?
> Hi Karl,
>
> I think it's more than just a little time. Every time the kernel
> updates, you need to get the new kernel's source, recompile, and
> replace the new kernel.
>
> It *is* an interesting idea though.

    AFAIR you can install a Debian/Devuan system without installing a
kernel package. I did it still a decade ago on Powerpc-based SBCs: I
compiled my own kernel and built my own initramfs and it prepared the
system in a way that mimicked what Debian was expecting to find after
the pivot-root. I did it with a custom initramfs because the boards were
diskless but you can always do all this initial preparation from a
dedicated partition if you prefer. The thing is after that you must
switch to Debian proper by a pivot-root or switch-root.

    AFAIR, what the Debian init sequence (starting after pivot-root)
expects is to find /, /proc /sys, /run and /dev already mounted.

    And for what regards the kernel, you upgrade it at your own pace,
following your own needs. It is essentially decoupled from the rest of
the distro.

--     Didier

--     Didier

--     Didier