:: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] kernels (was Re: Devuan with usr merge?)
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan with usr merge?
karl@??? said on Sat, 13 Nov 2021 12:42:51 +0100 (CET)

>Steve Litt:
>> John Morris via Dng said on Fri, 12 Nov 2021 17:26:52 -0600
>> >On Tue, 2021-11-09 at 01:56 -0500, Steve Litt wrote:
>> >The size of the OS is just so small now, compared to storage media
>> >and data files. Even a small SSD will easily hold all of /usr for
>> >all but the most bloated installs on old obsolete storage media.
>> >So simply including /usr in the root filesystem makes sense for
>> >almost all use cases.
>
>Size is not the only reason.
>You might want to have a separation for other reason.

>> Which brings up another beef I have: Why don't they build Ext4 and
>> maybe a couple other mainstream filesystems into the kernel, so if I
>> want, I can boot without initramfs? What would it cost?
>
>I use it all the time.
>
>Just do it yourself, it just cost you a little time, or do you
>volunteer to maintain a such kernel for devuan ?

Hi Karl,

I think it's more than just a little time. Every time the kernel
updates, you need to get the new kernel's source, recompile, and
replace the new kernel.

It *is* an interesting idea though.

SteveT

Steve Litt