:: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install o…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:05:18 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen <paddy-hack@???> wrote:

> Hi Tito, list,
>
> tito via Dng writes:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 17:16:31 +0000
> > g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
> >
> > [...snip...]

> >> All the 'other' Drivers that people are complaining are NOT in the netinstall ISO's.
> >> I don't understand the point you are making in adding up the Drivers that *are* included.
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm just saying that I wonder why being not that big in size they were not included
> > and in fact as you confirm they are included.
> > The ones you list here are all firmware blob packages so now the question arises
> > which are the DRIVER packages that should have been included and are not?
> > By inspecting the repos (not the isos) with the synaptic package manager
> > I was not able to spot the GBs of packages you mentioned,
> > probably this is my fault and I just look in the wrong places.
>
> For one thing, you are forgetting all the third-party drivers that
> aren't in the Debian package repositories to begin with.

Hi,

I don't think devuan or debian will ever ship them as they will never be packaged
so they don't count. If I understood it correctly the problem is about
adding the drivers and firmware blobs which are in the non-free repos
to the isos and install images and in my opinion for a given arch
(i386, am64, etc) they do not sum up to GBs of software and could
easily be added to to the bigger images/isos for a best possible user experience
(at least for video cards, ethernet cards and wifi cards/dongles).
By not doing it potential users are driven away from devuan (and linux)
at the beginning of they new linux life of freedom and consciousness.

Ciao,
Tito