:: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install o…
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 21:07:43 +0900
Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hi g4sra,
>
> g4sra via Dng writes:
>
> > <--snip-->
> > This is why Devuan's installer will ask\prompt you to insert
> > additional installation media such as a USB stick. There are just
> > too many Gigabytes of Drivers required to satisfy every corner
> > case, put the drivers your quirky hardware requires on a USB stick
> > and use it when prompted! I do not ever want to have to install an
> > OS from 31 removable media's ever again! (Windows NT
> > anybody?)._______________________________________________

I've done that once, but mostly it has been various versions of Novell
which thankfully are not that many as NT was.

> Me waxes nostalgic and remembers installing Debian from 12
> floppies ;-) --

Did it work?

My installation didn't, so I then tried the Slackware floppies which
also didn't work.

Then the Redhat floppies, which did work, which is why
my first working distro was Redhat for a few versions.

Weirdly I actually has a Suse CD beforehand*, but it was in
German and my German language knowledge was effectively nil.

*It was sent to the LUG, but no one else wanted it.

Aaah, those were the days.