:: [DNG] Announce: FlyingTux project
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] inferno and FlyingTux, [DNG] ..another viable basis idea for Devuan as a hypervisor?, was: Announce: FlyingTux project
Subject: [DNG] Announce: FlyingTux project
Hello folks,

maybe a bit offtopic, but allow me to announce the FlyingTux project:

It's an build/runtime infrastructure for running desktop and mobile
applications in containers and build an entirely container-based
mobile OS based on it.

The primary motivation is my long frustration about the monstreaus and
practically unmaintainable Android, which also still lacks lots of
common management abilities we know from the GNU/Linux world.

In some ways, FT can be seen as an conceptional combination of
containers (docker, k8s, etc) and apps (android, etc). One major
difference is that also the app images are based on some defined
distro base (for start, just alpine, others to follow later) and the
images are created on the host, based on host specific settings like
hw setups (eg. automatically deploys the right mesa drivers). In future
steps some packages of the app distro base (called 'osbase# here) will
be replaced or customized, in order to provide better integration with
the ecosystem and strip unneeded stuff.

Another key difference is moving common functionality (eg. various
data sources, communication protocols, ...) out of the individual
apps into generic services - and the binding between individual apps
and actual services instances can be customized by the user (e.g. one
can bind some apps to fake gps instead of the real one, separate address
books or user directories, etc, etc).

Here's a more detailed description:

https://github.com/metux/flyingtux/blob/master/README

Note that for now its very experimental and fast changing. Don't expect
anything field-ready yet. But it's already good enought to isolate some
common desktop apps like gimp, chrome, etc.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert