:: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install o…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: tito
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
Hi Tito, list,

tito via Dng writes:

> On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 17:16:31 +0000
> g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:
>
> [...snip...]
>>
>> > What am I missing?
>>
>> All the 'other' Drivers that people are complaining are NOT in the netinstall ISO's.
>> I don't understand the point you are making in adding up the Drivers that *are* included.
>
> Hi,
> I'm just saying that I wonder why being not that big in size they were not included
> and in fact as you confirm they are included.
> The ones you list here are all firmware blob packages so now the question arises
> which are the DRIVER packages that should have been included and are not?
> By inspecting the repos (not the isos) with the synaptic package manager
> I was not able to spot the GBs of packages you mentioned,
> probably this is my fault and I just look in the wrong places.

For one thing, you are forgetting all the third-party drivers that
aren't in the Debian package repositories to begin with.

I bought a USB WiFi dongle that (quietly) advertised Linux support and
needed to add the vendor package repository for its out-of-tree driver.
Had to fiddle a little bit to work around Debian<->Devuan issues but it
compiles and works fine otherwise.

IIRC, there is even a GitHub repository for the sources but I haven't
checked if it contains any blobs.

The dongle's at the office and I don't remember the vendor/device name.
Sorry.

Hope this helps,