:: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install o…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 17:29:55 -0400
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> Riccardo Mottola via Dng said on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 22:06:15 +0200
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I "converted" a laptop from Windows 7 to Devuan and as a test, I
> >installed chimaera. The intel display should have no issues.
> >Install wasn't too easy due to the system having only WiFi and no
> >Optical drive - the WiFi needs firmware not included in the install
> >media. I used an USB stick with the full DVD, installed offline then
> >found the firmware on debian, copied over with an USB stick and
> >things do work.
>
> I hate the preceding hassle. Every Linux distro's install media should
> have all drivers available during installation. After installation, if
> the user wishes to remove all non-free from his computer, he can do
> so. Or, the installation process can come with an "include nonfree
> drivers and blobs" switch that defaults to "yes".

I thought it worth to accompany this with the factual observation, that
Devuan's chimaera install isos, even before the alpha builds, have all
included all identifiable firmware. There is of course some story about
"using Joliet rather than Rick Ridge", which possibly may apply to
Windows-targeted hardware and cause grief for the unfortunate. And also,
maybe Riccardo's media was not a "Devuan's chimaera installer iso".

Ralph.