:: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of ch…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
Riccardo Mottola via Dng said on Wed, 28 Jul 2021 22:06:15 +0200

>Hi all,
>
>I "converted" a laptop from Windows 7 to Devuan and as a test, I
>installed chimaera. The intel display should have no issues.
>Install wasn't too easy due to the system having only WiFi and no
>Optical drive - the WiFi needs firmware not included in the install
>media. I used an USB stick with the full DVD, installed offline then
>found the firmware on debian, copied over with an USB stick and things
>do work.

I hate the preceding hassle. Every Linux distro's install media should
have all drivers available during installation. After installation, if
the user wishes to remove all non-free from his computer, he can do so.
Or, the installation process can come with an "include nonfree drivers
and blobs" switch that defaults to "yes".

Some people believe the worst sin is to have anything non-free on your
system. That's their prerogative. But adopting a zero-tolerance for
nonfree during install drives people away from free software in droves.
The perfect is the enemy of the good.

I don't care what Debian does, I'd suggest that Devuan's default
install include all the non-free drivers, firmware and blobs that
Devuan has, and just have a way to shut it off for the more
Stallmanesque among us.

Riccardo, I love how you got around this problem. I never thought of
installing from DVD and then grabbing Wifi after installation's
complete. I'd never thought of that: I just used a different distro if
install didn't work.

Thanks,

SteveT

Steve Litt