:: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install o…
Author: tito
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Rant: was fresh install of chimaera on an Ultrabook - no touchpad
On Wed, 28 Jul 2021 22:26:07 +0000
g4sra via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> <--snip-->
> This is why Devuan's installer will ask\prompt you to insert additional installation media such as a USB stick.

Hi
The user most of the time doesn't even know which driver or firmware blob he needs so this is not a solution
(unless you know how to scan dmesg...to spot the trouble).

Better would be to tell them:
1) minimal install, netinstall isos/usb images are for advanced users as they could miss firmware/drivers and you are on your own.
2) full install CD/DVD/usb images contain all available firmware/drivers and give best results (plus initial opt out of non-free stuff defaulting to: I want it)

Just my 2 cents,
Ciao,
Tito