:: Re: [DNG] desktop-live chimaera iso…
Author: Gastón
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] desktop-live chimaera isos
On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 06:17:36PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> Bzzzzzt: Friends don't let friends buy Nvidia cards for Linux. Nvidia
> cards cause screen artifacts, hangs, and spontaneous reboots.

Yes, Nvidia sucks! But I have to deal with that for now.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 03:07:15PM -0300, Gastón wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 04:36:09PM -0300, Gastón wrote:
> > Hi, I downloaded:
> > devuan_chimaera_4.0.alpha_2021-07-16_amd64_desktop-live.iso,·
> > and tested it on real hardware.·
> >·
> > The desktop looks the same as the screenshot except for the
> > wallpaper,
> > the wallpaper with the Devuan logo does not appear, it has a generic
> > XFCE wallpaper.

> I experience screen freezes after a few minutes of starting XFCE.
> This Alpha version of Devuan Chimaera loads normally, but after
> opening
> an application or interacting with the OS, the screen simply freezes,
> the mouse pointer moves but none of the click buttons respond, I just
> have to do REISUB to restart the OS using the keyboard.

> ISO used: devuan_chimaera_4.0.alpha_2021-07-16_amd64_desktop-live.iso
> Device used: USB stick

> Hardware:
> 1. Netbook, CPU: Intel Atom N2600, GPU: Integrated controller, RAM:
> 2GB.

> In this netbook the problem leave to appear afterwards to edit the
> GRUB
> to turn off the load of AppArmor, with apparmor=0.

> 2. Desktop PC, CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+, GPU: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440,
> RAM: 3GB.

> In this PC the problem did not disappear deactivating AppArmor.

> Possibilities:
> - Too old hardware?
> - AppArmor?
> - XFCE, now 100% with GTK3?

I kept testing and can conclude that AppArmor does not cause the
freezes.

In the case of the PC with an Nvidia graphics card the freezing problem
in XFCE disappears if the Compositor is disabled in the "Window Manager Tweaks"
Settings or using this line in a TTY:
xfconf-query -c xfwm4 -p /general/use_compositing -s false

I also tried other DEs, for example LXDE worked without problems for me,
on the other hand LXQT freeze immediately after starting it, the same with
Mate. I also tried Enlightenment and it seemed to work without problems,
although I didn't use it for long. I did all of this in live-mode.

So far it is not clear to me if the freezes in XFCE with the Compositor
enabled, are due to the nouveou driver, or that my graphics card has an old
version of OpenGL (v1.2) and 64MB or that the 3GB of RAM in the system are
insufficient.

--
gast0n