:: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildabl…
Author: onefang
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildable on Devuan
On 2021-05-28 10:25:10, Mark Hindley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After our discussion at the meet last night, I have been attempting to estimate
> the scale of the issue of source packages which are not buildable on Devuan
> because of unsatisfiable Build-Deps.
>
> The attached list very rough estimate produced by using 'build-rdeps systemd' on
> Debian sid, grepping unstable from amprolla's raw/bannedpackages.txt and using
> comm(1) to compare the lists and identify pacakges only in the first of
> those. It produces 107 source packages that might be problematic, of which 8 are
> already forked.
>
> Looking through the list, some are cruft and are never going to be useful on
> Devuan (eg debspawn). They need to be excluded by amprolla being better. I will
> work on that in the next few days. As I said at the meet, I think getting
> amprolla to recursively exclude packages with banned dependencies will clear
> some of the cruft. However, some packages jump out to me (alsa-utils, bluez,
> e2fsprogs, lvm2, speech-dispatcher) as being mainstream and not being able to
> build them on a Devuan system should be a concern.
>
> Obviously there are caveats, I only looked at systemd reverse build-deps in
> unstable and there may well be others.
>
> Comments welcome.
>
> Mark
>

> e17

Enlightenment windown manager. In Beawulf it's a transitional package
that depends on the enlightenment package.

> efl

Enlightenment Foundation Libraries that e17 is built on.

Both can have the systemd dependency dropped by just configuring systemd
out at build time. They may even check if systemd is on the system at
run time and not use it. Can't recall if it drops out systemd at build
time if it's build deps cannot be found.

It's been a few years since I stopped being an Enlightenment developer,
things might have changed, but as is the Debian way, these might be old
versions.

> *openvpn

My current VPN server / client. Beowulf's doesn't include systemd as a
direct dependency.

> pipewire

Thought this was a modern replacement for pulseaudio? Beowulf's doesn't
include systemd as a direct dependency.

> wireguard

Dammit, I want to switch my VPN to this, it has such a good rep. Someone
added systemd to it? WTF?