:: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildable on…
Author: Mark Hindley
To: devuan-dev
New-Topics: Re: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildable on Devuan
Subject: [devuan-dev] Sources unbuildable on Devuan
Hi all,

After our discussion at the meet last night, I have been attempting to estimate
the scale of the issue of source packages which are not buildable on Devuan
because of unsatisfiable Build-Deps.

The attached list very rough estimate produced by using 'build-rdeps systemd' on
Debian sid, grepping unstable from amprolla's raw/bannedpackages.txt and using
comm(1) to compare the lists and identify pacakges only in the first of
those. It produces 107 source packages that might be problematic, of which 8 are
already forked.

Looking through the list, some are cruft and are never going to be useful on
Devuan (eg debspawn). They need to be excluded by amprolla being better. I will
work on that in the next few days. As I said at the meet, I think getting
amprolla to recursively exclude packages with banned dependencies will clear
some of the cruft. However, some packages jump out to me (alsa-utils, bluez,
e2fsprogs, lvm2, speech-dispatcher) as being mainstream and not being able to
build them on a Devuan system should be a concern.

Obviously there are caveats, I only looked at systemd reverse build-deps in
unstable and there may well be others.

Comments welcome.

Mark

alsa-utils