:: Re: [devuan-dev] Problem with HUAWE…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Problem with HUAWEI MateBook D 16 AMD R5 4600H PART 2
Hi Ismael,

Ismael Rodríguez writes:

> Hello sorry for bothering you, I check in a forum and I see that probably
> the error is for the hard disk is NVME so the grub just dont install
> [image: image.png]

I don't know if you've already solved your problem but I just wanted to
let you know that I had no trouble installing Beowulf on a laptop with
an NVME disk. I used the Devuan 3.1 installer from 2021-03-15.

In case it helps, my /etc/fstab looks like this

  #
  # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
  # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
  # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
  #
  /dev/mapper/liberty--vg-root /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
  # /boot was on /dev/nvme0n1p2 during installation
  UUID=4c986264-981b-4b1c-8c79-894cc126d0f0 /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
  # /boot/efi was on /dev/nvme0n1p1 during installation
  UUID=FB41-25B8  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1
  /dev/mapper/liberty--vg-home /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
  /dev/mapper/liberty--vg-swap none            swap    sw              0       0

I use LVM for all but the /boot and /boot/efi mount points. Partition
types are all defaulted.

I noticed in your screenshot that you have a number of NTFS partitions
and there appears to be something else Microsoft related as well. Are
you trying to set up a dual- or multi-boot machine?

FTR, I did *completely* wipe the disk before installation. When I say
completely, I mean it. Even the partition table and vendor's EFI blob
were wiped. I basically did a

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nvme0n1

I don't know if that made a difference or not.

I may also have changed something in the BIOS but I don't remember what,
if anything.

# When I first installed Debian on that laptop a few years ago, I did
# have to fix up some of the GRUB code in the installer. IIRC, I was
# able to do so during the install from a VT by editing a script, but
# this was *not* necessary for my most recent (re)install.

Hope this helps,