:: Re: [DNG] minor panic with host reb…
Author: wirelessduck
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] minor panic with host reboot

> On 1 Apr 2021, at 08:27, crichmon@??? wrote:
>

> I’ve had a router/misc./etc. running ASCII for a couple of years, and today I inadvertently rebooted it
>
> because I wasn’t playing attention to which host an xterm was logged into. Normally that wouldn’t
>
> be a problem, but what happened is that I ended up with a grub minimal command prompt.
>
> I’ve no idea why, and what ended up getting my up again was simply exiting the prompt and I
>
> got a list of kernels to boot, so I picked the latest and more-or-less I’m back in business.
>
> My question is; How did I end up where auto-boot didn’t work?
>
> I’ve been very reluctant to update/upgrade precisely because of this sort of thing.
>
> Since this box is the main router for the whole house, when it’s down, everything is down.
>
> I’ve rebooted in the past without issues, and I don’t think I’ve done anything to cause this,
>
> but who knows. Any requests for more details or suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thx, Chris

Unfortunately I don’t know how to help with the current situation, but I would definitely recommend installing the molly-guard package to hopefully prevent this accidental reboot of wrong machine from happening in the future.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/molly-guard
https://packages.debian.org/sid/admin/molly-guard