:: [DNG] Air-gapped Beowulf install w/…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Air-gapped Beowulf install w/ runit as init
Hi all,

I previously mentioned here[1,2] that the netinst ISO images are no use
for air-gapped installs. That was for Beowulf beta images and has been
addressed (at least partially, IIRC). Besides, it *is* documented[3].

So I have been using the server image. That claims to allow

for a *complete* off-line server/minimal installation

where the emphasis is mine.

Now the Beowulf 3.1.0 point release announcement[4] says that

[t]he installer now offers a choice of three init systems. `runit` has
been added, along with `sysvinit` and `openrc`.

Cool! Downloaded the 3.1.1 server image and installed, selecting runit
as my init. No warnings, everything installs fine, system reboots okay,
but ... no runit :-o

What gives?

The installer logs mention that some `runit*` package is not available
(sorry, forgot which one and the logs are gone :-(). Poking around in
the Packages file and pool/ directory on the image, I *think* that may
have been `runit-init`. A regular, non-air-gapped install has that
package installed and the installer logs show it getting installed in
the `choose-init` "stage" and downloaded from deb.devuan.org.

Considering that `runit-init` is about 40KB and the ISO images are

netinst 309MB
server 590MB
desktop 3658MB

(for amd64) I would prefer to see `runit-init` added to the server image
over downloading the desktop image for air-gapped installs.

It makes a 3GB difference :-o
# But I'll be working around with the desktop image for the time being.

[1]: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20200320.010518.98571ef6.en.html
[2]: https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20200322.113542.8f9ac3d5.en.html
[3]: https://devuan.org/get-devuan
[4]: https://devuan.org/os/announce/beowulf-point-release-announce-021421