:: Re: [devuan-dev] [DNG] Beowulf Beta…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Dng
CC: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] [DNG] Beowulf Beta is here!
Hi,

golinux@??? writes:

> Dear dev1ers,
>
> The Devuan 3 Beowulf Beta release is now ready for review. The
> installer isos, desktop-live and minimal-live isos can be downloaded
> from:
>
> https://files.devuan.org/devuan_beowulf/

Kudos for all the hard work put in by all of you!

> Please report any issues you may experience to this list,
> bugs.devuan.org,
> freenode irc #devuan-dev or the dev1galaxy.org forum.

I prefer submitting issues at bugs.devuan.org to prevent them falling
thru the cracks :-) but I'm wondering whether they should go to

- debian-installer, or
- installation-reports

I've so far found a few issues installing from the amd64 netinstall ISO
(created 20200313)

 - grub-efi-amd64 is not included (but grub-efi-ia32 is :-?)
   - the server ISO seems to have the same issue
 - not installing any of the extra software, not even the standard
   system utilities, leaves you with a fairly badly broken system
   - no network (ifupdown not installed ... :-o)
   - weird behaviour of the backspace key (input is deleted but the
     cursor moves forward instead of backwards)
   - encrypted lvm with openrc only mounts / (with sysvinit other
     filesystems are mounted)

Background: I have been doing *minimal* air-gapped installs using the
Devuan ASCII (and Debian buster) netinst ISOs without any trouble.
Here minimal means zero extra packages, not even standard system
utilities. When following the same procedure with the Beowulf beta
ISO this no longer works :cry:

Off now to try with the amd64 server ISO (on non-UEFI hardware).

Hope this helps,