:: Re: [DNG] Remote two-way sound?
Author: Adam Sampson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Remote two-way sound?
Antony Stone <Antony.Stone@???> writes:

> The requirement is that I need to run applications expecting to have
> access to microphone and speakers, and those are on my local machine,
> not the remote one running the application/s.
> Bandwidth is not a problem - [...]

I've used netJACK1 for this in the past. On the machine with the sound
device, you run a regular JACK daemon, plus jack_netsource. On the other
machine, you run the JACK daemon using the "net" backend, and tell it to
connect over the network to jack_netsource. The netsource shows up as a
JACK client on the main machine so you can connect it to whatever
inputs and outputs you like, and the network connection only adds one
JACK period's worth of latency.

The major downside of this is that it's only useful for applications
that can use JACK for audio (which is most pro-audio stuff, plus a few
others like mpv). If your applications only talk PulseAudio, you'd also
need to configure PA to use JACK for input and output; I haven't tried
this myself.

Cheers,

--
Adam Sampson <ats@???>                         <http://offog.org/>