:: [DNG] Distribution upgrade issue
Author: Curtis Maurand
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Distribution upgrade issue
Hello all,

Thank you for the great work that you do.  I found an issue with a
distribution upgrade from ascii to beowulf.  This server has a lot going
on, but it is a web and mail server with a webmail system on it.  It
runs Postfix, Amavisd-new, Spamassassin and a lot of other things.  the
webmail system uses roundcube.  During the upgrade mysql is stopped.
later  in the process the upgrade to roundcube is attempted.  When that
happens, the script can't make the mysql connection because mysql is not
running.  Ok, so I started mysql and do the retry on roundcube and skep
the questions, because before I started, roundcube was working.  So the
update connects to roundcube and lo it cannot do the upgrade because the
upgrade to mysql has to happen first. I had to go get the upgrade script
from roundcube to update it's database manually. The roundcube upgrade
should happen after the mysql/mariadb upgrade and mysql should be running.

During the amavis upgrade, amavis runs into a permissions problem it
will not recover from involving it's lock files.  I had to remove the
lock files and continued with apt-get --fix-broken install to continue.
I think amavis needs to be stopped first. Also the amavis upgrade fails
if perls net::SNMP is not installed.

I've had to revert back to a previous snapshot due to a different error
that is solvable, but involves partition resizing (no space left on
device an a too small partition *sigh*).  That's a different problem
altogether.  It's of my own making.  :-)

Thanks for your attention,

Curtis