:: Re: [DNG] Distribution upgrade issu…
Author: Curtis Maurand
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Distribution upgrade issue
On 2/21/21 6:17 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Sunday 21 February 2021 at 23:33:39, Curtis Maurand via Dng wrote:
>
>> I found an issue with a distribution upgrade from ascii to beowulf.
> Please give at least an outline of how you performed that upgrade?

This machine is running as kvm guest. It is Devuan Ascii.  The only
thing running on this machine that is not out of the box devuan is
Rainloop.  Rainloop is a webmail application that runs on a website, so
not an issue and not involved.  It uses PHP and is happy with anything
5.6 or higher. Except for that his server is running out of the box
packages from deb.devuan.org.

The machine has a full LAMP Stack on it.  It is running ispconfig
(https://ispconfig.org), but that's an app that runs on apache.  It
configs web and mail accounts. It has about 20 websites running on it.
I previously got this upgrade to run on a different copy of this
particular virtual machine, but changes had been made since a november
snapshot.

It also has postfix, amavisd-new, spamassassin, clamav, fuzzyocr and
other tools related to taking apart mail messages, scanning them and
putting them back together.  It's a workhorse and I'm so glad that I
ditched systemd and all the trouble that it brings.  This very well
could be a Debian issue.  I will need to install a like debian machine
of the appropriate version and upgrade it to see what happens.

Steps for the upgrade.

1. patch system to latest ascii patch level. apt-get update && apt-get
upgrade

2. edit the /etc/apt/sources.list to change the ascii entries to beowulf
and I commented out the source package entries.

3. apt-get install devuan-keyring (error, already installed)

4. apt-get update

5. apt-get dist-upgrade

First error almost immediate is that perl's net::SNMP is missing from my
system and it's part of getting amavis to stop.  I believe that the
install script is trying to call amavis-snmp-agent to stop it, but I'm
not using that, so hence the error.  I started aptitude, found the
package and installed it and issued apt-get --fix-broken install and
moved on.

Amavis again bombed on a permissions problem involving ownership of it's
lock files and died.  I couldn't stop amavis (service stop amavis) for
the same error.  I killed amavis manually.  I deleted the lock and pid
files in /var/run/amavis/ folder. apt-get --fix-broken install and
continued on.

Then the roundcube upgrade failed due to mysql not running.  I did not
stop it.

I ignored the error and continued.

Then mysql/maraidb got upgraded

Then apache got upgraded

Roundcube has dependencies upon the LAMP stack. It seems logical that
the Roundcube upgrade would follow the LAMP stack upgrade since it's a
php application.

I don't know where or how the order of these things gets set, that's why
I'm bringing it up, here.  I'm not a developer.  I'm just trying to
report problems that I ran into.  I am not complaining.  These are not
deal breakers or things that can't be fixed afterwards dpkg --configure
roundcube for instance.  They are just a nuisance.  I found out about
the perl thing while testing.  not hard.  While upgrading ascii, install
libnet-snmp-perl.  then the install skips right past it.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis