:: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subn…
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: dng
New-Topics: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subnet and address to a Devuan Beowulf Qemu guest <PARTIALLY SOLVED>
Subject: Re: [DNG] Assigning a specific subnet and address to a Devuan Beowulf Qemu guest
Networking for qemu is not that hard though better documentation is a
praiseworthy aim. But there are an awful lot of variations both in
what to achieve and in the ways in achieving it. These are some
thoughts from me:

Like for all qemu device emulations, the network setup arguments for
qemu come in pairs:
+ one argument that declares the internal emulation device, and
+ another argument that declares to host side attachment.

The connection between the two arguments is done by means of an
identification label, where (for net emulation) the host attachment is
"named" by the label using an "id=LABEL" option and the internal
emulation device argument mentions it using a "netdev=LABEL" option,
where thus the LABEL bit is your choosen name.

If you leave out identifications then qemu makes guesses about how
arguments go together; it invents labels "cleverly" and uses them
"intelligently". Unfortunately most documentation relies on that
hidden labelling and as a result things appear to work by magic.

Further just for the sake of increased confusion, there is also an
alternative combination or shortcut argument ("-nic") that lets you
configure both the emulation and attachment in a single option
collection.

In your case you have declared a single internal device, the e1000,
and linked that to one of the two host attachments by the label
"mynet0". The other host attachment, "mybridge0", is dangling, i.e.
not linked with any internal interface emulation device, which qemu
advices about with the "no peer for mybridge0" warning.

HOST SIDE ATTACHMENT

The hands-on for the host side setup depends firstly on which type of
host attachment it is. "user" and "bridge" are two host attachment
types. The (currently) full list is
"(tap|bridge|user|l2tpv3|vde|netmap|vhost-user|socket)".

They are all configured in their own ways although typically they use
the same or overlapping names of options with typically concordant
uses of them. The qemu-system-x86 "man" page is rather good at
describing the attachment types and their options.

In my words:

The "user" type attachment is a "pretend" attachment as it
facilitates IP level networking for the guest without having
networking presence as an actual host interface. There is little
good to say about this attachment type except that it's the one to
use if you don't want to know anything about anything. Well, not my
preference at least. The "user" type attachment is especially
peculiar as it includes a DHCP service for the guest with a client
visible IP address for the host, even though the attachment is not
associated with an interface.

The "bridge" type attachment results in a host side tap interface
that get added to (and remove from) a nominated bridge or bridge
"br0" by default.

The "tap" type attachment results in a host side tap interface
seemingly without any bridge juggling. However, its default script
option nominates the /etc/qemu-ifup script which adds the tap to the
bridge, if any, nominated by a br option, or by default the bridge,
if any,that facilitates the default route for the host at the time
guest is started.

The "vde" type attachment is also a "pretend" attachment but it
facilitates full Ethernet level networking via VDE virtual
networking, which typically is present as a tap interface on the
host. In this case you set up a "VDE switch" with a tap, and then
make qemu connect up to that via the sock option which is
"/tmp/vde.ctl" by default (coincidentally the same as the default
setting for a VDE switch).

and so forth.

CLIENT SIDE

The hands-on for the client side is just normal network configuration.
which parimarily depends on whether to use DHCP (in part or full) or
static configuration.

With the "user" type attachment, the client is not a full networking
entity from the host (or outside) point of view as it only handles IP
level transport. Other attachment types makes the client a full
networking entity.

To use DHCP the overall setup must of course include a DHCP server on
the network of the host side attachment (or the built-in one of the
"user" type attachment).

etc.

Ralph.