:: Re: [DNG] Clarification please
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Clarification please
Quoting Olaf Meeuwissen (paddy-hack@???):

> I have a dnsmasq instance that does *authorative* resolution for an
> internal domain.

Well, pseudo-authoritative.

> Anything not in that domain is forwarded to the corporate DNS servers.
> Works fine for me so I think dnsmasq can be more than _just_ a
> forwarder (which is all I wanted to point out).

Yes, dnsmasq does do _stub_ (local-only) authoritative service, as
is mentioned in my DNS software bestiary's entry.
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Network_Other/dns-servers.html#dnsmasq

When I said '_just_ a forwarder', I meant that it doesn't do (real)
authoritative service or recursive resolving. It cannot even
independently resolve RRs without processing the recursive flag
('iteratively'), i.e., it cannot resolve anything outside its
local-private-domain zonefile except by forwarding the query to a
separate recusive daemon elsewhere.

Naturally, the ability to have a stub zone is also useful.

My point is that dnsmasq is in _no way_ an adequate substitute for
having a locally based recursive nameserver. However, it can be a nice
adjunct to one.