:: Re: [DNG] Clarification please
Author: Simon Walter
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Clarification please
On 11/3/20 8:44 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> Rick Moen writes:
>
>> Quoting g4sra via Dng (dng@???):
>>
>>> Can anybody suggest a suitable authoritative/recursive DNSSEC
>>> supporting name server for SOHO domain use on embedded systems. What
>>> I am looking for is something like dnsmasq.
>>
>> dnsmasq, it should be noted, is _just_ a forwarder. It forwards
>> outbound queries to one or more IP-identified recursive servers you
>> specify. Those recursive servers do the actual work.
>
> I have a dnsmasq instance that does *authorative* resolution for an
> internal domain. Anything not in that domain is forwarded to the
> corporate DNS servers. Works fine for me so I think dnsmasq can be
> more than _just_ a forwarder (which is all I wanted to point out).

Personally, I really like OPNsense. It uses Unbound these days. I don't
use it for everything. However, for most of my clients needs, it handles
their DNS needs very well. Specifically "overrides" provide a local
authority. If they need a true authoritative server, I am familiar with
BIND. So BIND it is. OPNsense is a BSD. So the PID "bug", I guess, is
not relevant.