:: Re: [DNG] Clarification please
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Clarification please
Quoting Dimitris via Dng (dng@???):

> depends on the role...
> bind as a local caching dns for PCs might be overhead. some people
> would want something minimal/light for recursion, not the whole bind
> "beast"...
> unbound is very light in that perspective, and also found dqcache
> (packaged) a pretty nice alternative.

For a local recursive nameserver[1], I would urge consideration of
PowerDNS Recursor, Deadwood, Knot Resolver, or (patched) dnscache, all
of which are small, fast, and have reasonable security prospects and
history.

I'll not be critical of people like Mason choosing to still run BIND9 in
that role -- if only because I still do that myself in places out of
inertia -- but for that application consider it overfeatured, slow,
ponderous, and a bit security-risky.

[1] Calling such software 'caching' doesn't really clarify what the core
functionality is, since every subvariety of DNS nameserver software
except for authoritative-only daemons includes caching.

--
Cheers,                           "2020 is pulling out more plot devices than
Rick Moen                         a TV series on the brink of being canceled."