:: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
Author: John Crisp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 01:15:47 +0000
Mark Rousell <mark.rousell@???> wrote:

> On 25/10/2020 18:20, Ludovic Bellière wrote:
> > Hello Mark, it seems that you are highly concerned with the path
> > Thunderbird is taking for the future. Might I suggest to you, and
> > everyone following this exchange for that matter, to head over the
> > [tb- planning][1] mailing list. It's purpose is to, quote:
> >
> > 1. *Offer an easy, transparent venue for getting constructive,
> > Thunderbird-related work done.*
> > 2. *Offering community members the chance to post until they get
> > satisfaction about their concerns.*
> >
> > I am pretty sure that if you were to gently explain your concern and
> > future perceived issue, somebody would gladly take the time to
> > answer you. It is not, however, a place to request supports.
>
> Thanks. However, I am very familiar with tb-planning (and other
> Thunderbird mail lists) and have been a member of and contributor to
> tb-planning for over five years. I have reached my current views
> despite (or perhaps because of) what I heave learned on tb-planning
> and other TB-related mail lists/groups.
>
> One thing that I have learned is that (in my experience and as far as
> I can tell) expressing views that are not in accordance with those of
> the leadership is completely pointless. Nothing I can say will have
> any influence, benefit or use whatsoever.

+1 to this and your previous comments about TB, developers,
governance, and the insane blind leap to follow Firefox and destroy the
plugin system, which for many was the best thing about TB.

TB is really becoming like an Electron app for Firefox - just a
browser with a few bells and whistles - you may as well use webmail.

The greatest irony is them wanting to ban all popups and 'use
tabs' for everything grrrrrr. Shame they allow little balloons and
dropdowns and notifiers and loads of other nonsense everywhere in
browsers, and allow webdevs to throw whatever js boxes they like on
screen. Hypocrisy IMHO.

Yes, forking the browser side would have been difficult for maintenance,
but they made no attempt to have any sort of reasoned debate about any
of it - "our way or the highway".

TB Planning is heavily censored and any opinions that contradict the
leaders are shot down rapidly. Council members have to sign an NDA
that has not been published (why DID they need to make it TB
corporation and for not a NFP?).

Mozilla themselves are ban any TB dissent - including just banning a
well known community member from ALL online SM channels relating to
Mozilla, even apparently ones they do not control, for some apparent
minor misdemeanour they didn't like...... the place has gone properly
batsh1t mad.

The problem is decent alternatives are not great - it is the only
reason they still hold the share that they do. But quite simply, without
the plugins we may as well just use Evolution.

As such we will stay on an old version with working plugins doing what
we need and will do for the foreseeable future. It does all WE need.

We'll move on when we change things in due course.

Personally I would not now recommend TB under any circumstances, having
previously recommended it since I started using at around v1.

No wonder the world is moving to instant messaging - and they are so
keen to get their 'chat' app in there.

Sad times indeed.