:: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] TB and Enigmail
Quoting John Crisp via Dng (dng@???):

[snip much-appreciated picture of behind-the-scenes management
folderol at Thunderbird Project:]

> The problem is decent alternatives are not great [...]

Just in case people have lost track of this, the long-term nub of the
problem is: revenue model.

Firefox brought in money. Thunderbird did not. When all is said and
done, Mozilla Foundation is an appendage of Mozilla, Inc., which as a
for-profit corporation is bound to a depressing pursuit of quarterly
earnings targets as a primary objective. From the corporate
perspective, Thunderbird development resources are deadweight, a
dispensible community sponsorship that earns nothing.

I continue to like projects that are limited in feature scope enough to
not live or die by corporate underwriting. E.g., mutt continues to be
maintainable by a small group of motivated developers. When I want it
to be graphical, I run it in an xterm. ;->

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                        "The first rule of Dunning-Kruger club is