:: Re: [DNG] (Almost) no sound under B…
Author: al3xu5 / dotcommon
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] (Almost) no sound under Beowulf
Wed, 30 Sep 2020 11:36:32 -0700 - Ian Zimmerman <itz@???>:

> On 2020-09-30 20:02, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
>
> > Firefox, from a certain version onwards (sorry but I don't remember
> > which one), removed support for ALSA from the default build
> > configuration (maybe it will be restored in the future, I don't know
> > if it has already been but I don't think so), keeping only pulseaudio
> > support.
> >
> > This should explain why you didn't have audio on Firefox; while I can
> > assume that the other problems depend on pulseaudio and its
> > configuration (also because I seem to understand that they happened
> > after you installed it...).
>
> FWIW, I am on Debian buster, which just upgraded firefox-esr to 78; I
> have no pulseaudio; and I just checked youtube and it works ok. So, I
> doubt this explanation of Marc's problem.

As I said, "Firefox from a certain version onwards" (shoud be 52) "removed
support for ALSA from the default build configuration (maybe it will be
restored in the future, [...]"

So if you have no pulseaudio and audio is ok with firefox-esr 78, IMHO it
should mean that the ff release you have has been built with ALSA support
(nice if they have restored it!!!) or that you run ff throught apulse...

Regards

al3xu5

--
Say NO to copyright, patents, trademarks and industrial design
restrictions!

Public GPG/PGP key: F94CFE23 (4096 bit RSA)
Key fingerprint:    59C6 9DC7 CD4B CF2F A190  E3DE 69C5 977B F94C FE23