:: Re: [DNG] (Almost) no sound under B…
Author: viverna
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] (Almost) no sound under Beowulf
il devuanizzato Marc Shapiro via Dng <dng@???> il 26-09-20 07:54:14 ha scritto:
>The issue that I am having is with sound.  My daughter reported that
>it was not working.  I tried playing a video (in Firefox) from my
>login and also got no sound.

Me too when installed beowulf I had problems.
Pulseaudio brings trouble and has odd behavior.
Alsa it is not without problems.
However both works with no|a little|medium effort.
I don't like pulseaudio and in my machines tend to remove it. Sometimes
install it with disgust.

>I have since determined that pulseaudio was not running (it is
>installed).  So I started the pulseaudio daemon under my login,
>started up Firefox and played a video.  Sound.  Yay!  I logged into my
>daughter's account and started the pulseaudio daemon, started Firefox
>and played a video.  No sound.  Boo!
>
>The I started pavucontrol under both logins.  My login shows the
>'Built in Analog Stereo' output device, and its monitor for input.  My
>daughter's login shows a 'Dummy' output device and its monitor for
>input.  under my wife's login, it shows the same 'Dummy' devices as my
>daughter's login .
>
>1) If anyone can tell me how to get pulseaudio to see my built-in
>audio for all three logins, it would be greatly appreciated.

You need to make a file named .asoundrc in home directory and select
correct audio card.

You can find it with:

cat /proc/asound/cards

You may insert a number or (best) the name of audio card.
For info:
https://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

pulseaudio is alsa based and it should work.

>2) How do I get pulseaudio to run for each user when they log into the
>system.

I recommend you not to waste time configuring pulseaudio. If pulseaudio
don't work and troubleshooting is more difficult than expected remove it
and configure alsa. If alsa work then:
if is necessary (advanced mixing, trouble with pulseaudio only software
as firefox, other...)
    install pulseaudio
else
    install apulse (sound working in pulseaudio only software as
firefox for example), configure dmix plugin in alsa and so on...
end if

>3) The 'play' utility from the sox package gives an error whenever I
>try to play an mp3 file.  Using 'aplay' to play .wav files works
>fine.  What do I need to do to play mp3s from the commandline?

You can try:
vlc -Incurses FILE

or moc (it also works by freeing the terminal):
http://moc.daper.net/

>(NOTE: I boot to console only.  Each user switches to a different VT
>and runs startx from there.)

Yes, me too run X from VT.

--
 _________
< Viverna >
 ---------
       \                    ^    /^
        \                  / \  // \
         \   |\___/|      /   \//  .\
          \  /0  0  \__  /    //  | \ \           *----*
            /     /  \/_/    //   |  \  \          \   |
            @_^_@`/   \/_   //    |   \   \         \/\ \