:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
Quoting Arnt Karlsen (arnt@???):

[...]
> > I'm curious how many, if any, of those are going to enable the
> > systemd-homed service in their default installations. My guess is few
> > or none, but I lack data.
>
> ..the bigger problems are how the ones in the know, acts on the ones
> they should be protecting: 1. distro packagers on the newbies, and
> 2. sysadmins on their un-suspecting users, bosses, share holders etc
> owners.

I think you're disregarding my point. (Which is mildly vexing, but I'm
not a newcomer to the Internet, so I'm used to it.) To restate, once:

A bit of bloatware becoming potentially providable and potentially
enabled by default in a distribution doesn't make it a foregone
conclusion that it will be both. And also it should be noted when that
bloatware can be trivially disabled because by its nature it is an
optional service.

Remember the hilarious security and functionality screwup with
systemd-resolved? That was justifiably mocked, but also not the subject
of great concern because it was a bit of systemd bloatware that distros
were not enabling by default, and could also be trivially disabled
because it was an optional service. I'll bet both continue to be case,
though I don't care enough to check.

Debian, among others, runs rsyslog by default even though
systemd-journald has been present since early days. And so on.

OK, I've now made the point twice. I'm done.

--
Cheers,                 "My hot flight attendant asked how I like my coffee.
Rick Moen               And that's when she told me:  'That's cute, honey, but