:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 23:11:10 -0700, Rick wrote in message
<20200914061110.GU29756@???>:

> Quoting Arnt Karlsen (arnt@???):
>
> > He does appear to understand what systemd-homed is capable of doing
> > to us if we don't watch out:
>
> Mr. Smith didn't say hardly anything about Poettering's systemd-homed,
> just took a shot in passing.

..aye, his main rant is on the effects of systemd's mission creep,
commonly starting with systemd's new shiny "optional" features.

> > https://linuxreviews.org/Systemd-homed
> > https://linux.slashdot.org/story/19/09/21/0110240/systemd-homed-systemd-now-working-to-improve-home-directory-handling
> > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-homed
> >
> > ...and, their comments...
>
> The systemd release that includes this optional service, v. 246, was
> apparently released on July 30th. Distrowatch claims at least one
> release of these distros includes that particular (latest) systemd
> version:
>
> Manjaro Linux
> Ubuntu
> Debian
> Fedora
> Arch Linux
> ArcoLinux
> SparkyLinux
> Mageia
> Devuan GNU+Linux

..looks like we're still waaay too sleepy at the wheel.
Imagine losing your /home, or your home.
Which is worse?

> Bluestar Linux
> Gentoo Linux
> ALT Linux
> Finnix
> Garuda Linux
> Linux From Scratch
> RebornOS
> Lunar Linux
>
> I'm curious how many, if any, of those are going to enable the
> systemd-homed service in their default installations. My guess is few
> or none, but I lack data.

..the bigger problems are how the ones in the know, acts on the ones
they should be protecting: 1. distro packagers on the newbies, and
2. sysadmins on their un-suspecting users, bosses, share holders etc
owners.

..me, I want to be in charge of my own web browser logs, email etc
data. I want to be able to tell the cops what I saw on 7/7/7 at 7:7pm,
once they have convinced me they are chasing actual criminals and not
some refugees. E.g. checking my email "for that period in time",
will help jog my memory of whatever I may have seen, and not seen.
Etc.

..if I ever become a refugee myself, I want to be able to destroy all
my data so they don't wind up with some fascist regime trying to
criminalize something lawful, e.g. having witnessed something.

..either way, I wanna make that decision myself, and not leave that
decision to some systemd fanboi sysadmin or distro packager, or to
_anyone_ else. Women have a similar thing with their own bodies,
as they damned right should have.

> FWIW, my impression (untested) is that sysadmins who don't want this
> service on a distro that defaults to using systemd can simply switch
> it off. (There is also some PAM plumbing related to it.)

..aye, mission creepy systemd has built itself quite a record on
"how optional things can be switched off" and not.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: