:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
Quoting Arnt Karlsen (arnt@???):

> He does appear to understand what systemd-homed is capable of doing
> to us if we don't watch out:

Mr. Smith didn't say hardly anything about Poettering's systemd-homed,
just took a shot in passing.

> https://linuxreviews.org/Systemd-homed
> https://linux.slashdot.org/story/19/09/21/0110240/systemd-homed-systemd-now-working-to-improve-home-directory-handling
> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-homed
>
> ...and, their comments...

The systemd release that includes this optional service, v. 246, was
apparently released on July 30th. Distrowatch claims at least one
release of these distros includes that particular (latest) systemd
version:

Manjaro Linux
Ubuntu
Debian
Fedora
Arch Linux
ArcoLinux
SparkyLinux
Mageia
Devuan GNU+Linux
Bluestar Linux
Gentoo Linux
ALT Linux
Finnix
Garuda Linux
Linux From Scratch
RebornOS
Lunar Linux

I'm curious how many, if any, of those are going to enable the
systemd-homed service in their default installations. My guess is few
or none, but I lack data.

FWIW, my impression (untested) is that sysadmins who don't want this
service on a distro that defaults to using systemd can simply switch it
off. (There is also some PAM plumbing related to it.)

--
Cheers,                 "My hot flight attendant asked how I like my coffee.
Rick Moen               And that's when she told me:  'That's cute, honey, but