:: [DNG] dynamic resolver configuratio…
Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] dynamic resolver configuration [Was: Danger: Debian POSIX hostility]
On 2020-09-16 02:11, Steve Litt wrote:

> Speaking of Netowrk manager, am I the only one who hates it messing
> with /etc/resolv.conf? You know what I'd like? I'd like
> /etc/resolv.conf to be a symlink to one of many files, such as
> resolv.dhcp, which *could* be modified by the network manager, and all
> sorts of others that can be switched in and out by a shellscript. Most
> folks would just use the symlink to resolv.dhcp, but folks like us
> could actually put our own unbound on our laptops and use a
> resolv.unbound or something like that.

The resolvconf package already does something like this, and it _can_ be
utilized by user scripts, though it is not very well documented and,
maybe even worse, not very well "promoted". Also, you can achieve a
similar effect by running dnsmasq with a few simple scripts on top,
because the "upstream" dnsmasq resolver file is configurable.

But when I think about the normal way of resolver configuration
I feel, for once, some sympathy for Len^H^H^H the one whose name shall
not be said here.

--
Ian