:: Re: [DNG] dynamic resolver configur…
Author: tom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] dynamic resolver configuration [Was: Danger: Debian POSIX hostility]
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:40:18 -0700
Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:

> On 2020-09-16 02:11, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > Speaking of Netowrk manager, am I the only one who hates it messing
> > with /etc/resolv.conf? You know what I'd like? I'd like
> > /etc/resolv.conf to be a symlink to one of many files, such as
> > resolv.dhcp, which *could* be modified by the network manager, and
> > all sorts of others that can be switched in and out by a
> > shellscript. Most folks would just use the symlink to resolv.dhcp,
> > but folks like us could actually put our own unbound on our laptops
> > and use a resolv.unbound or something like that.
>
> The resolvconf package already does something like this, and it _can_
> be utilized by user scripts, though it is not very well documented
> and, maybe even worse, not very well "promoted". Also, you can
> achieve a similar effect by running dnsmasq with a few simple scripts
> on top, because the "upstream" dnsmasq resolver file is configurable.
>
> But when I think about the normal way of resolver configuration
> I feel, for once, some sympathy for Len^H^H^H the one whose name shall
> not be said here.

on an IPv6 network you don't need DHCP for autoconfiguration of IP and
DNS. Just run rdnssd and it will statelessly grab the resolver and
configure a unique publicly routable IP address.

/ Kiss me, Kate, we will be married o' \
| Sunday.                                |
| -- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of |

\ the Shrew"                             /
\
 \
   /\   /\