:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] dynamic resolver configuration [Was: Danger: Debian POSIX hostility]
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 16:41:19 +0000
A Nilsson <na@???> wrote:

> > From: Dng [mailto:dng-bounces@lists.dyne.org] On Behalf Of Bruce
> > Perens via Dng Sent: den 14 september 2020 06:23
>
> > Systemd and so on are symptoms of the Unix design not really being
> > a good fit for modern demands.
>
> It is important to specify whose demands we are talking about.
>
> The underlying interests of end users and of system administrators
> are remarkably different from those of commercial actors. The latter
> ones are highly motivated, by their nature, to monopolize the control
> over the technical platform. Unix indeed was not designed with this
> purpose in mind.

I couldn't have said it better.

In addition, I don't see why Unix design isn't a good fit for modern
demands. Edward and Aitor have already made do-one-thing-and-do-it-well
graphical automounters that, as far as I know, depend on neither
systemd nor dbus. I once posted, on this list, a thumb drive plugin
detector/mounter, and somebody else on the list improved on it.

Relatively speaking, I don't think a Network-manager replacement would
be difficult to build, although I never finished with my attempt.

Speaking of Netowrk manager, am I the only one who hates it messing
with /etc/resolv.conf? You know what I'd like? I'd like
/etc/resolv.conf to be a symlink to one of many files, such as
resolv.dhcp, which *could* be modified by the network manager, and all
sorts of others that can be switched in and out by a shellscript. Most
folks would just use the symlink to resolv.dhcp, but folks like us
could actually put our own unbound on our laptops and use a
resolv.unbound or something like that.

A Nilsson, you're right: for the commercial actors, Linux is just like
the cars from the 1950's: Change the fins and create a whole new reason
to trade in. And the Appeal to Novelty is much stronger today than it
was in the 1950's.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive