:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On 2020-09-13 01:14, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:11:48 -0500
> golinux@??? wrote:
>
>> On 2020-09-12 15:28, Steve Litt wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I think Devuan might want to "put back" POSIX commands Debian has
>> > removed (but provides packages for). See the following thread from
>> > Debian-User:
>> >
>> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/09/msg00334.html
>> >
>> > Lennart Poettering has repeatedly and with certainty let us know he
>> > has no use for POSIX. I guess now the Debian project is acting as
>> > his proxy in this matter.
>> >
>> > Did you notice the one guy who said it would be "it would be 'rude'
>> > to impose something wanted by only a part of the users"?
>> >
>> > Personally, if my operating system doesn't come, as a baseline, with
>> > vi, ed, cut, grep, sed, awk, bc, dc, diff, dd, df, du, fg, head,
>> > tail, and the like, then it isn't an OS I'd want to use. The fact
>> > that an OS isn't certified POSIX is no excuse for deliberately
>> > leaving out easily included POSIX programs and features.
>> >
>> > Is it possible for Devuan to "put back" what Debian sabotaged?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > SteveT
>> >

>> Probably. Are you going to volunteer to do/oversee that?
>
> Nope. My volunteering these days is difficult, much more important than
> any Linux distro, and not bothered with by about 98% of the population
> to which it's crucial. I'm blowing off time I really should be working
> to do this volunteerism, and have no remaining time to learn
> package-managership and then herd all the cats into accepting my
> packaging solutions.
>
> If I sound like an asshole, it's because I've had a very frustrating
> several days, during which no good deed I did went unpunished.
>
> SteveT

(to the sound of a mournful violin)

We all have priorities and those priorities will set the course of the
future of Linux as we have known it. But there are much bigger issues on
the horizon than POSIX. Heck, there are much bigger issues looming than
the future of Linux . . .

A link to this rant was posted on FDN yesterday. I had never heard of
Luke Smith before and was not particularly impressed with either his
presentational style or his bemoaning the death of white, male privilege
but . . . I could very well imagine Linux going down the path his
"nightmare" imagines.

https://libre.video/videos/watch/b576019d-8957-4efb-8571-6a14e0889136

If Debian doesn't wake up and reverse course what will become of Devuan?
The entire Linux ecosystem as we have known it could become a nostalgic
footnote in the history of the digital age.

It's a good time to be old . . .

golinux