:: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX host…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Danger: Debian POSIX hostility
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 16:11:48 -0500
golinux@??? wrote:

> On 2020-09-12 15:28, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I think Devuan might want to "put back" POSIX commands Debian has
> > removed (but provides packages for). See the following thread from
> > Debian-User:
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2020/09/msg00334.html
> >
> > Lennart Poettering has repeatedly and with certainty let us know he
> > has no use for POSIX. I guess now the Debian project is acting as
> > his proxy in this matter.
> >
> > Did you notice the one guy who said it would be "it would be 'rude'
> > to impose something wanted by only a part of the users"?
> >
> > Personally, if my operating system doesn't come, as a baseline, with
> > vi, ed, cut, grep, sed, awk, bc, dc, diff, dd, df, du, fg, head,
> > tail, and the like, then it isn't an OS I'd want to use. The fact
> > that an OS isn't certified POSIX is no excuse for deliberately
> > leaving out easily included POSIX programs and features.
> >
> > Is it possible for Devuan to "put back" what Debian sabotaged?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > SteveT
> >

> Probably. Are you going to volunteer to do/oversee that?

Nope. My volunteering these days is difficult, much more important than
any Linux distro, and not bothered with by about 98% of the population
to which it's crucial. I'm blowing off time I really should be working
to do this volunteerism, and have no remaining time to learn
package-managership and then herd all the cats into accepting my
packaging solutions.

If I sound like an asshole, it's because I've had a very frustrating
several days, during which no good deed I did went unpunished.

SteveT

Steve Litt
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive