:: Re: [DNG] eudev-related problems af…
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eudev-related problems after Beowulf upgrade
On 6/12/20 10:05 AM, David Kuehling via Dng wrote:

> - during startup, the LVM init.d-script hangs for a very long time
> repeatedly outputting errors of the form
>
> WARNING: Device /dev/xxx not initialized in udev database even after
> waiting 10000000 microseconds.

To get rid of the delays, edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and set these four
variables to zero:

devices {
    # Disable scanning udev for md/multipath components.
    # This is required with recent versions of lvm2, even if you use
another solution for
    # your LV device nodes; without it lvm commands will stall for minutes
waiting for udev.
    multipath_component_detection = 0
    md_component_detection = 0
}
activation {
    # Set to 0 to disable udev synchronisation (if compiled into the
binaries).
    udev_sync = 0
    # Set to 0 to disable the udev rules installed by LVM2
    udev_rules = 0
}

> - none of the alsa sound driver modules is loaded during boot, so I
> end up with a Desktop that does not support audio
>
> - the amdgpu module is not loaded, so not 3-D acceleration
>
> Comparing dmesg output between successful startup and failed startup,
> the following markedly differs:
>
> In both cases, the line 'udevd[558]: starting eudev-3.2.7' appears twice
> in the dmesg output. Differences happen after the second time it is
> printed. In the "failed boot" case it merely outputs
>
> xxxx udevd[558]: starting eudev-3.2.7
> xxxx lp: driver loaded but no devices found
> xxxx ppdev: user-space parallel port driver
>
> In the succesful case it outputs a whole lot of ACPI-related stuff and
> loads the sound-related modules:

This problem was showing up in the live isos but only when booting from
optical media. It didn't happen when booting from usb (except for the
couple of times it did).

Workaround for now is to put the following line in /etc/rc.local:

/etc/init.d/eudev stop && /etc/init.d/eudev start

Another possible workaround is to edit /etc/init.d/eudev and replace
stop-start-daemon in the start command with just 'udevd -d' as described
in this post:
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=22172#p22172

CAVEAT: I can't claim that either of these workarounds is better or worse
than the other, or even what all the possible effects are.

One other issue I had with the desktop-live isos was sometimes having no
keyboard or mouse on the destkop. That was solved by installing acpi-fakekey.

fsmithred