:: Re: [DNG] eudev-related problems af…
Author: g4sra
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] eudev-related problems after Beowulf upgrade
On 12/06/2020 15:05, David Kuehling via Dng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded three machines from Devuan ascii to Devuan beowulf. Now one
> of these machines has non-deterministic problems during startup that
> look like being related to eudev. As that machine was originally
> derived by cloning the hard-disk of another machine that works fine, I
> suspect this issue is not a general configuration problem that I caused.

On the contrary, unless the machines hardware are identical in every way
down to the revision level and firmware versions..even then BIOS or UEFI
settings can catch out the unwary. By far the best way is to only transfer
the package cache (/var/cache/apt/archives) and let each system install
them itself.

I suspect this issue may be a general configuration problem that you caused.

Too much mud clouding the waters to see clearly!
Start investigating again after purging *all* un-required packages for
non-existant hardware (lp for a start), then rebuild the initramfs and
*cold* reboot.

You may have half-cloned (exists in config but not in hardware) a UUID!