:: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk …
Author: tempforever
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk active in fstab
J. Fahrner via Dng wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm running Devuan Beowulf on an Odroid C2 mini computer. Since it's
> internal flash disk is limited, I run it with an external usb drive
> attached.
> When this disk is active in /etc/fstab the boot process hangs forever. I
> can ping it, so networking is started, but I cannot login, because sshd
> is not running. Since this is a headless system, I cannot see boot
> messages to find out where it hangs. I cannot attach a monitor because I
> have no suitable cable.
>
> Any ideas how to debug this problem?
>
> This is the fstab entry:
>
> LABEL=Elements /hdd ext4 defaults  0 2
>
> Booting with this entry commented out works fine, and I can mount the
> disk as normal after boot. But this way many daemons are missing its
> data and have to be restarted after mount.
>
> Jochen

Is it possible on that computer to boot USB instead of internal flash
disk? This seems like the easiest solution to me, if it is doable.

I had a similar problem on a Raspberry Pi 3B+, booting from microsd it
would fail to complete startup with USB drive in fstab. I found out I
could just remove the microsd and boot from USB.