:: Re: [DNG] without-systemd.org not w…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] without-systemd.org not working
On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 09:39:11PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2020 08:57:39 -0700
> Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:
>
> > On 2020-05-18 16:42, Didier Kryn wrote:
> >
> > > In particular by porting Window$ on top of Systemd-Gnu-Linux, just
> > > like MacOS lives on top of FreeBSD and makes big profit.
> >
> > How would that work from the legal POV? Linux is still GPL, pretty
> > much for this very reason.
> >
> > I do believe that systemd was meant to be more than init from the
> > start, but I'm not going as far as Didier.
>
> I am. I eschew Occam's Razor in favor of Litt's Razor, which can be
> paraphrased "Follow the money."
>
> As one piece of evidence I present the words of a Redhat exec long
> before systemd existed:
>
> http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/10/interview-with-red-hat-cto-brian.html
>
> Search the word "complexity" to get right to the piece of evidence that
> Redhat profits from complexifying Linux.

Specifically, it says:

"Do you think the Red Hat model would apply equally well to other areas of software?
"
"    Red Hat's model works because of the complexity of the technology we work with. An operating platform has a lot of moving parts, and customers are willing to pay to be insulated from that complexity.
"
"    I don't think you can take one finite element - like Apache - and make a business out of it [using our model]. You need product complexity.

Presumably Steve Litt's point is that Red Hat has to make the internals complex so that
there's complexity to shield the costomer from.

-- hendrik